Here are a Few Facts about NAFTA
- Canada and Mexico are the two largest markets in the world for U.S. exports, purchasing more than
one-third of U.S. merchandise exports.
- 39 U.S. states count Canada or Mexico as their No. 1 trading partner and all but one state counts Canada
or Mexico as a top three trading partner.
- Since NAFTA entered into force, U.S. trade with Canada and Mexico has quadrupled.
- Each day, the U.S. conducts $3.3 billion in trade with its North American neighbors.
- U.S. merchandise exports to Canada (population 36 million) have consistently been greater than or roughly the same as exports to the European Union (population over 500 million).
- In 2016, U.S. merchandise exports to Mexico (population 125 million) were nearly double those to China (population 1.4 billion)—the third largest national market for U.S. exports.
- U.S. exports of medical equipment to Canada and Mexico grew by over 350%, while U.S. exports in the food and beverages, aerospace, foundries and ships and boats industries all grew by over 200% between 1997 and 2016.
- 94% of all U.S. exporters to Canada and Mexico are small and medium-size enterprises (SMEs).
Don’t forget to LIKE us on Facebook!
Or FOLLOW us on Twitter!